Thursday, January 5, 2012

First cotton!

I embarked on this spinning journey because I wanted to learn and experience what my ancestors experienced in the way of getting thread and fabric, especially when making quilts.     That meant cotton and linen/flax and, while I'm having fun with wool and other animal fibers, I'm ready to get started with cotton.  After watching Stephanie Gaustad's "Spinning Cotton" video I ordered up some organic cotton (a lovely sample from Cotton Clouds) and a couple of spindles:  an Akha and a Takhli.  The cotton sample and the Akha spindle arrived to day...


and I'm giving it a try.  It's going to take some doing, but I love the way cotton drafts!


The tiny, uneven amount of brown cotton yarn on the spindle may not look like much, but it was hard won!   It's going to take a lot of practice, but cotton feels so soft and luxurious to me.  (The photo is fuzzier than the fiber, I see!)

No comments:

Post a Comment