Saturday, January 7, 2012

Another new spindle

The Takli spindle (and bowl) arrived today, and I gave it a spin.  It seems to work better for me than the Akha, but I probably benefited from the practice the Akha gave me of spindle spinning in general.  I am finding that if I spin the fiber too thin, the metal "point" wears it through as I spin, and it breaks there.   So, I'm going to have to do a little careful watching of some experienced spinners to watch the angle at which they hold the drafted fiber relative to the spindle.

It is great fun, though--cotton drafts so nicely!

And I spun a bit more on the Akha, to see if my greater ease with the Takhli was due to "experience" (albeit it very limited) or to the spindle, and I think it's a little of both.  The wooden Akha is lighter weight than the metal Takhli (and has a point much less dangerous to a klutz!) but weight of the Takhli seems to make it easier to spin it more freely.   Time will tell.   (Why am I unable to take a clear photo of the Akhi?)

No comments:

Post a Comment