Thursday, December 29, 2011

First results of thick-thin spinning

My first stab at spinning thick-and-thin was successful or not, depending on how you look at it.  It's not a sturdy yarn, but I learned a great deal from the process.  I did find a rhythm to the process but I need to make some adjustments to give integrity to the yarn.

Here are two thick sections--the one the left will pull apart, the one on the right will not.

 And here's why, as I have it figured:
1)  The left section is too long, and the ends of all the fibers are not caught in the twist of the thin sections;  I need to pay better attention to where the fibers pull apart as I finish the drafting for the thin sections and start on the thick.
2) I drafted too much fiber into the thick section on the left, and had some fibers that weren't lined up with the others so, again, the ends of the fibers weren't all caught in the twist of the thin section;
3) My tension/uptake was too high; it all needed a little more twist--not a lot, but a bit.

I have a bit more of this fiber, to do some more practicing.  I'm not sure what I'll do with this, which has more sections that won't work than those that will.  Perhaps I'll just run it through the wheel again, to give it some more twist, then ply it with an even, thinner yarn.  (I do have a smaller skein of this spinning, as a part of the history of my work. )

No comments:

Post a Comment