Four Patch Units
You’ll be making sets of 4-Patch units, one set made with each of the Main Colors. Easy as pie.
1. With RST and using a scant ¼” seam, sew a Blue 2-1/2” x WOF strip to a Background1 2-1/2” x WOF strip along the long side; press toward the Blue strip.
2. Straighten the edge, then subcut the strip set from Step #1 into 2-1/2” segments. You’ll get 16 segments from this strip set.
A couple of cutting tips:
- You are cutting 2-1/2" segments, and the fewer times you have to lift the ruler and shift fabric the better. So, after you cut the first 2-1/2" segment, don't lift the ruler but shift it another 2-1/2", and line up the edge with the 5" mark on the ruler: 2-1/2" + 2-1/2" =5". It's half as many times you have to lift the ruler and pull out a segment; it may not seem like much, but when you have many segments to cut, it makes a difference.
- If you have a Stripology ruler, or similar ruler that lets you cut segments quickly, this is a great time to use it.
3. Repeat Steps #1-2 with two more Blue and Background1 strips. You will have (48) 2-1/2” segments.
Press toward the right. You will end up with (24) 4-Patches. Square up to 4-1/2” square, if necessary.
5. Repeat Steps #1-4, but using Purple with the Background1 strips. (Note that you will not be using all the Purple 2-1/2” strips, just three of them.) Press toward the left, noticing that this is the opposite direction from which you pressed the Blue 4-Patches.
6. Repeat Steps #1-4, but using Pink and Background2 strips. (Note that this is Background2 now, if you are using two different backgrounds.) Press toward the left.
That’s it for this clue. Whew! You’re well on your way now!